Since I already made yummy salsa, I thought it was only appropriate to make Pulled Chicken Tacos for dinner!
I had already shopped for the necessary essentials for a divine Mexican meal. Thanks to my crockpot chicken it was going to be able to be pulled together in less than 15 minutes with minimal clean-up. Success. I even make my own taco seasoning! It’s so easy to do and much better for you because the sodium content in the pre-made packages can easily exceed your recommended daily allowance. Plus you can make a large batch if you want to because it stores great! Once you try it, you’ll never eat the other stuff!
It’s a mouthwatering recipe…give it a try!
Recipe makes enough seasoning for 1lb of meat
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- Cayenne pepper–based on your heat preference
- Dried Oregano–Oregano is one of those spices that people love or hate–so add to taste or omit it
- Small pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt & fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic
- Pre-cooked chicken
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Taco fixings: black beans, spinach, cheese, avocado, & salsa
- To a small bowl: Add 1 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp onion powder, a generous pinch of cayenne pepper, & a pinch of red pepper flakes & dried oregano. Add salt & fresh cracked black pepper.
- Heat precooked chicken in a skillet over medium high heat
- Add taco seasoning & grate fresh garlic–2-3 cloves– over skillet–heat chicken until thoroughly heated
- Add a 1/4 cup of water to spice and meat mixture and allow to cook until liquid is gone
- In the meantime, preheat a skillet large enough to fit your tortillas
- In a dry pan, add tortilla to pan and brown on each side over medium high heat–do this for all tortillas you plan to serve for the meal (makes a huge difference! give it a try)
- Next build your tacos! Add chicken, black beans, spinach, avocado slices, cheese, and homemade salsa