Matt has been away on business all week so I always like to try and surprise him with something special when he arrives home. I thought that since he’s been so busy, a cocktail would be the perfect sweet treat to come home to and relax with. He’ll be the first to tell you that he’s manly enough to admit to enjoying fruity drinks. He’s been sipping on my fruity drinks for the past 5 years and realizes most often they really do taste better then the more manly counterparts. We’ve been married for over a year and a half now and he’s finally started ordering his own sweet tasting cocktail, instead of always stealing half of mine. Don’t get me wrong…he still enjoys a good beer or good glass of wine, but we both agree that nothing is more refreshing on a hot summer day than a light, crisp cocktail. I’ve never made a watermelon cocktail before, but I fell in love. I see many more Strawberry Watermelon cocktails in our future–with or without alcohol, both versions taste fabulous.
Equipment needed: blender & a small mesh strainer
- Sparkling water or Sprite
- Liquor of your choice–I used Tequila
- Lime juice or a splash of orange juice
Makes four 6 oz cocktails
- Add 1.5 cups of pre-cut watermelon and 1 cup of rinsed/hulled strawberries to a large pitcher (or add all these ingredients to a regular blender)
- Use immersion blender and blend fruit until smooth
- Strain fruit mixture through a fine mesh strainer to ensure all seeds are removed; you can use the back of a spoon to help push the mixture through & speed up the process–I strained mine straight to my Martini Shaker so I could serve it extra chilled (if you don’t mind seeds or don’t have a strainer–you can always skip this step, just be mindful you will be able to taste the strawberry seeds)
- Add a splash of orange or lime juice and splash of sparkling water/Sprite
- Add 3-4 oz of the liquor of your choice–or don’t, it’s also great without out it!
- Shake it up and serve to your friends
Give it a try this weekend! It will be sure to impress your friends or your significant other! Plus it’s so easy to make and is sort of good for you too, right?