One of my favorite things about fall is when Starbucks brings back the Pumpkin Spice Latte! Though I’m not ready for fall yet, I was craving pumpkin so I decided I would try to find a recipe to fulfill my craving. Boy did I succeed! These pumpkin doughnut holes are quite possibly my favorite thing I’ve ever made for breakfast. I can’t even tell you the last time I’ve had a doughnut–I can never bring myself to eat one even if I have the most severe cravings because I know they are fried and filled with fat. Besides the butter & sugar in this recipe, these are a pretty solid option to fulfill your craving without going overboard. I honestly didn’t adjust the doughnuts to look like they are glowing either–I swear they glow on their own they are that heavenly. Matt had a request for a cream cheese glaze that put these doughnuts even more over the top! They are so delicious–you won’t be disappointed!
Recipe adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod
Yield: 24-30 donut holes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
For the Donuts:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour (don’t have whole wheat flour? Substitute with another 1/2 cup of all purpose)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup canned plain pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup milk
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
Preheat oven 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together: flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin pie spice
- In a separate, large bowl whisk together oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin and milk until smooth
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined--Add slowly (I usually add a third of my dry ingredients at a time) letting each addition mix
- Spray a 24-cup mini muffin tin with baking spray
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (I use my small cookie scoop to do this–so much easier than a spoon!)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or should be soft yet firm to the touch
- While the muffins bake, melt butter in one bowl (in the microwave about 20 seconds) and mix sugar and cinnamon in another bowl.
- Remove muffins from oven and let cool until they are comfortably able to be handled.
- Spoon melted butter over each muffin & roll in cinnamon sugar to coat each doughnut.
- Serve donuts warm or at room temperature--but be sure to eat a few before you serve them to your guests because they’ll be gone before you know it!
For the cream cheese glaze:
- Mix 4 0z of room temperature cream cheese with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Whisk together until light and fluffy–I dipped the muffins in the glaze and they taste fantastic with the cinnamon sugar or just plain with the pumpkin.