The first time I ever tried Molten Chocolate Lava Cake was when Matt and I were celebrating our engagement at Fleming’s restaurant in 2010. I was determined to figure out how to make it because it was so freaking good. I have found a delicious recipe that is sure to please everyone (plus it’s super easy to make! Most of the work is done in the microwave!). If you’ve never had Molten Chocolate Lava Cake you are definitely in for a treat. It’s like a warm, chocolately, gooey doughnut like cake. It’s pure amazingness.
I’ve made a few minor additions to the recipe that I feel make something fantastic even more delicious. I usually serve my Lava Cakes with a small scoop of ice cream, fresh fruit, and a little whipped cream. Cooking time varies a little bit depending on what sized ramekins you decide to use. I’ve made 6 smaller ones and 4 larger ones–just keep an eye on the cakes the last few minutes of the cooking time to make sure you don’t over cook them. They should be soft in the center but set on the outside (slightly pulling away from the ramekin). To invert them on a plate–let them cool slightly put plate on top of ramekin and invert both together. Lightly tap on the bottom of the ramekin and the cake will fall right out (of course make sure to liberally spray each ramekin with cooking spray!). Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from brandielle
- 4 pieces (squares) Semi-sweet Baking Chocolate
- ½ cups Butter
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 whole Eggs
- 2 whole Egg Yolks
- 6 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- A sprinkle of Cinnamon
- A pinch of Salt
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray 4 ramekins with cooking spray, spoon sugar to lightly coat each cup (dumping out extra sugar), and place on cookie sheet
- Microwave chocolate and butter in large bowl on high for about 1 minute–until butter is melted & chocolate is soft
- Whisk butter and chocolate until smooth
- Stir in powdered sugar until well blended
- Whisk in eggs and egg yolks & stir in flour
- Divide between ramekins
- Bake 12-14 minutes until sides are firm and center is soft
- Let stand 1 minute before serving
- Invert cakes on dishes and top with whipped cream or ice cream if desired