Restaurant week is a glorious time here in Philadelphia. It gives you an opportunity to sample the finest restaurants the city has to offer at a decent, prefixed price. Lunch starts at 20 dollars per person and dinner at 35 per person. Most include your choice of an appetizer, entree, and dessert. It’s a fantastic way to spend a date night and it’s currently going on here in Philly until February 1st. If you live here or have the chance to visit in the next few days, I’d highly recommend dining at as many places as you can.
Aged Manchego with Truffled Lavender Honey Cheese Board
We had the opportunity to dine at Amada on Friday night for the first time and it was amazing. Amada serves “authentic Spanish tapas based on the earthy Mediterranean flavors that have long been the passion and expertise of founder and executive chef, Jose Garces – but Chef Garces goes beyond tradition, interpreting centuries-old tapas recipes.” That’s right, Iron Chef Garces. It was absolutely fantastic. I started off with a cocktail called the Matador that was made with ginger, Bourbon, and elderflower. It was probably one of my favorite cocktails I’ve had in the city.
Shrimp, Chorizo, Garbanzo Bean Purée Flatbread
- For the prefixed menu you were able to select two appetizer sized tapas, a larger entree sized tapas, and a dessert. There were a total of four of us, so we each chose different things to maximize our sampling from the menu. It was a ton of food and we each left more than happy and full. The highlight of the meal for me was the Serrano Ham and Melon. The cantaloupe was perfectly candied and served with a micro green salad on top. It was the show stealer for me. We also enjoyed the Ham Croquettes and the Braised Beef Short ribs flatbread. I apologize that there are not more photos, but food was being served and dishes removed from our table at a rapid pace. For dessert we sampled the Arroz con Leche and the Crema Catalana (Spanish Custard, Pistachio, Pumpkin Semifreddo, and Cranberry).
- I was very happy with this dining experience. We all left satiated and happy with our selections. The highlight of the meal, like I pointed out, was the Serrano ham and Cantaloupe as well as the cocktail. We also sampled the Tinto Sangria (Spiced red wine, orange, apple, and cinnamon) that was very delicious. The Arroz con Leche was the only thing that I wouldn’t order again. All of our other tastings were fantastic and I look forward to a return visit soon.
You still have a few more days to get out and try restaurants! Be sure to take advantage of the great deals if you are in close proximity to the city. We are trying Tequila’s for lunch, I’ll be sure to update you on our dining experience. Enjoy!
Yum. That’s all I can really say for an introduction. I’ll try harder for you though, because yum isn’t enough to describe how amazing this sushi actually is. We go once a week and I’m not ashamed to admit it. Hi, I’m Meggan and I am a Doma fanatic. They may or may not even know us by name, place our order without talking to us first, and bring us out piping hot edamame. Free edamame I may add because we have turned into that big of regulars. Doma is without our favorite place to dine in the city and though it is a quaint space because we have become such addicts, they always manage to squeeze us into a table with a minimal wait. It can get pretty busy though and I highly recommend making a reservation. Their Tuna Flatbread is to die for. So much in fact, I didn’t even get an opportunity to take a picture. I promise you won’t be disappointed and that it is without a doubt worth every penny.
This iPhone picture just doesn’t give their rolls justice…
- Triple Double Spicy Tuna Roll: tuna, spicy sauce, siracha, tempura crunch, scallion, seared albacore tuna on top with a sichimi pepper sweet glaze
- Naked Salmon: spicy salmon & avocado, over crispy sticky rice, masago and jalapeño slices on top
- Spicy Tuna Crunch Roll
- Stuffed jalapeño tempura: tuna, cream cheese, scallion, lightly battered topped with eel sauce
- Tuna Flatbread: tortilla flatbread topped with sliced tuna, fresh guacamole, garnished with jalapeno, red onion, cilantro, sweet glaze and spicy mayo
We eat here weekly, what more is there to say? It’s amazing! If we caved into our cravings we’d probably eat there more like three times a week…but that would be embarrassing. Another bonus? If you pay in cash, you get 10% of your bill. Enjoy!
If you know me…you’d know I am more than obsessed with all things Bobby Flay. I adore his recipes and absolutely love his food. I had the pleasure and privilege to dine at his restaurant Mesa Grill while vacationing in the Bahamas in 2010. Though it was a bit pricey–the food was fantastic and I am eagerly waiting to visit again. I was sadly disappointed to learn that he was actually at Mesa the week before we traveled to the Bahamas! Bummer.
Philadelphia does have a piece of Bobby Flay though! Which regularly satisfies my cravings for delicious food. Bobby’s Burger Palace (BBP) is amazing and much more affordable than Mesa. Matt and I can usually get out of there spending less than $20 bucks. I’ve seemed to have developed a regular order in the Santa Fe burger. The great thing about BBP is you can order any burger with beef, turkey, or a chicken breast. Since I’m not huge beef fan, it’s awesome that I can actually eat at a burger place too! If you do visit–try the Pistachio milk shake, it’s worth every single calorie.
The scene is also really cool–it essentially channels all things great about those old 50s diners but with a much more updated and modern look. The wait staff has always been pleasant and attentive.
- Santa Fe Turkey Burger: well seasoned turkey burger, topped with jalepenos, blue corn tortillas, and queso cheese on a sesame seed bun. Served with a humongous pickle.
I have never had a bad experience at BPP. I am always happily satisfied and never leave hungry. I rarely clean my plate–but I won’t lie to you all that I do every single time. Every. Single. Time. It’s so good and I highly recommend it if you are visiting in the area or just haven’t had a chance to check it out yet!