I absolutely love avocados! They honestly may be one of my favorite things to eat. I thought it was crazy when I discovered this paring that I didn’t think of it sooner. It may seem a little weird at first but trust me it is so delicious. The avocado really helps to make Mac & Cheese even more creamy—I never thought that was possible! It’s definitely buttery and smooth but probably a dish I wouldn’t make on the regular since it is so rich.
You can really taste the avocado though…next time I may even omit the cheese sauce and just eat avocado pasta. Matt liked it but was craving a crunch to go along with it. I agree that it was in need of a salty crunch–maybe pancetta crumbles or garlic bread.
- 10 ounces dry elbow macaroni–I used the Barilla Carrots & Squash–the pasta offers 1 full serving of veggies per serving. Bonus.
- 2 cloves garlic–use your micro planer to grate the garlic right into your food processor
- 2 avocados, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice–I used lemon because it’s what I had on hand ( it’s important to use because it prevents the avocado from browning)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese–or your favorite–we like the spiciness that Pepper Jack offers
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Reserved avocado chunks–to throw in at the end for garnish
- The original recipe calls for fresh Cilantro–1/3 cup–but I omitted it because Matt doesn’t like Cilantro. I also added a small pinch of cayenne pepper to the avocado mixture.