I had never been a huge fan a mangos but after dining at Cuba Libre in Old City (fantastic food!) and sampling their Avocado-Mango Salsa I quickly realized that I was missing out! The next time I hit Produce Junction (located in PA & NJ…a land of amazingness! think whole sale fruit & veggies…CHEAP!) I grabbed a few. They weren’t ripe initially and since I was craving them ASAP, I popped them into a paper bag with an apple for two days. Heard of this before? All I remember from my years of chemistry is that apples produce a gas that acts as an accelerant to help ripen other fruits! Thank you chemistry for the practical lesson for once! Anyhow, I created a few yummy things to share!
Matt & I are obsessed with guacamole so I knew after we sampled the salsa at Cube Libre I would have to figure out how to recreate it. Please forgive me! I forgot to take a picture! Next time for sure…that is if I can abstain from stuffing my face! ha!
- 1 ripe mango
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup red onion (a little or a lot…you call the shots)
- jalapeños (optional)
- juice of 1 lime
- small pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- Dice the mango–a great how to located here: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cut_a_mango
- Follow the same rules with the avocado–I love dicing them in similar sizes because it really helps the ingredients to mesh & do their delicious things!
- Add the 1/4 cup of diced red onion to the mix–if you aren’t a huge fan of red onions, give them a rinse with cold water! it realllly helps to take the bite out of the onion and mellow them out (seriously, try it!)
- Dice the jalapeños…as few or as many as you like depending on your preference
- Give the lime a roll on the counter or pop it in the microwave to “really get the juices flowing”–name that chef!
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Mash it around with a fork to help really bring the ingredients together