Hi! Remember me!? I know…it has been a much longer hiatus than I anticipated! I apologize for just up and disappearing like that! In case you have been drooling over the mini angel food cupcakes, I thought that it was time that I FINALLY shared the recipe. What a cliff hanger, eh? Over a 2 month wait! On the bright side, school has been going fantastic! I am officially half way done my didactic year (thank goodness!). I hope you all have been enjoying the signs of spring:) I know I enjoyed the sunshine on my walk to the library this afternoon. Today I’ll share my recipe for the mini angel food cupcakes and hopefully get the one for the amazing, homemade strawberry buttercream frosting to you in the near future. I am looking forward to cooking with fresh ingredients over the next few months, so I promise to start sharing more again soon. I would love to hear from you! Any suggestions on receipes you’d like to see on kitchen anatomy in the near future?
- 4 large egg whites
- ½ tsp cream of tarter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sifted powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup sifted flour
- Pinch of salt
Read the rest of this entry
I had never been a huge fan a mangos but after dining at Cuba Libre in Old City (fantastic food!) and sampling their Avocado-Mango Salsa I quickly realized that I was missing out! The next time I hit Produce Junction (located in PA & NJ…a land of amazingness! think whole sale fruit & veggies…CHEAP!) I grabbed a few. They weren’t ripe initially and since I was craving them ASAP, I popped them into a paper bag with an apple for two days. Heard of this before? All I remember from my years of chemistry is that apples produce a gas that acts as an accelerant to help ripen other fruits! Thank you chemistry for the practical lesson for once! Anyhow, I created a few yummy things to share!
Matt & I are obsessed with guacamole so I knew after we sampled the salsa at Cube Libre I would have to figure out how to recreate it. Please forgive me! I forgot to take a picture! Next time for sure…that is if I can abstain from stuffing my face! ha!
- 1 ripe mango
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup red onion (a little or a lot…you call the shots)
- jalapeños (optional)
- juice of 1 lime
- small pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- Dice the mango–a great how to located here: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cut_a_mango
- Follow the same rules with the avocado–I love dicing them in similar sizes because it really helps the ingredients to mesh & do their delicious things!
- Add the 1/4 cup of diced red onion to the mix–if you aren’t a huge fan of red onions, give them a rinse with cold water! it realllly helps to take the bite out of the onion and mellow them out (seriously, try it!)
- Dice the jalapeños…as few or as many as you like depending on your preference
- Give the lime a roll on the counter or pop it in the microwave to “really get the juices flowing”–name that chef!
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Mash it around with a fork to help really bring the ingredients together
Refrigerate until chilled and serve with tortilla chips–homemade or store bought. As you can tell it’s definitely just a recipe you can throw together. It’s super refreshing and perfect for summer.
Not to mention the great health benefits of avocado and mangos! Seriously good food for your body. It’s a win win snack! Tasty and great for you.